Saturday, September 7, 2013

Korean thug life

So I started noticing a strange phenomenon and people have affirmed my suspicions: Korean males like to dress like: A) Really young kids B) Metrosexuals C) Bloods/Crips. I don't know why the first two didn't shock me (too many music videos and manga I guess) but that last one really did. In a country with something like 3,000 civilian owned guns and an estimated 5,000 unregistered "illegal" guns (most of which are all owned by mafia people in big cities like Seoul) it seems weird that youngsters are walking around with bandanas on the heads and untied boots under overly large pants. Then it hit me: just like with everything else here, this is just another weird fashion thing. On Korean TV there are comedians that make the goofy jokes and sketch comedies and even they sometimes look like something out of Compton. I don't know, this was just my random thought of the day.

Oh, also, I realized why I didn't really have much culture shock when I got here. It's because I spent most of my life as the only tall white guy in the area. Walking around Korea almost seems the same as at home, I just know less of the language everyone's speaking. Strange, eh?

Anyways, plans for next weeks vacation (Cheusuk) have been changed and are as follows: 1) Board bus early morning of the 18th for Wolchulsan National Park 2) Hike immediately to Buddhist temple on top of mountain 3) Set up camp 4) Explore Wolchulsan for the next 2-3 days 5) If I have my rope by then, do some climbing at some secret spots that the local alpine store owner gave us a map of! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment