Sunday, August 18, 2013

Found my new hiking grounds!

So I got up at 4:30 this morning for some ungodly reason and could barely go back to sleep. Finally it was light enough to wake up properly outside at 6 so I ate my bowl of knock-off frosted flakes (No Tony the Tiger here, un-uh, I got that Flion the Lion) and watched a dvd of Django Unchained (Thanks Matt) and waited until 11 when Chris and I planned to go hiking.

Got suited up and left at 11, walked to the local 7-11 and got a donut (only 80 calories!) and a "Hot 6!" energy drink and headed down the street to the trailhead. OK, so, a few things you need to know about koreans and hiking: 1) They're F*%^$*ng insanely good hikers. I'm talking 80 year old ladies powering up hills that would make most regular people stop wheezing, especially in the 90 degree and 100% humidity. 2) They take this stuff seriously. I'm talking manicured trails, solar powered lights, pagodas to rest in, wooden recliners and dais set-ups for public use. Also, free fitness equipment along all the trails!

So I can't really explain the wildlife around here. It's almost like the tropical greenhouses at the zoo. It's muggy, hot, there's butterflies and giant moths EVERYWHERE and the tree growth is so thick and so GREEN that it's impossible to fathom the fact that it's not pristine. All of this growth is new since the Korean war almost devastated this city and since then the locals have manicured all the wilderness around here.
The hiking trails are a bit strange as they have a lot of steps in them (I assume to stop land erosion of the trails during monsoon and typhoon season, not to mention winter) but they are so well maintained that it almost makes up for it.

I have promised Chris I wouldn't blow this spot up, so all I can say about it is that it's in Mokpo, and it has an amazing view of Mokpo city from the top.
And you can see my house from the top of the mountain!
So yeah, all in all a great day for my first hike! There's even plans of a backpacking trip to beautiful Wolchulsan when the weather starts letting up! Can't wait! Also, I plan on taking a taxi next week to the local mountain Yudalsan to check out the local climbing crag! I've heard it's mostly sport bolted, but if it's good enough I might buy a rope and get climbing. From what I've been told, it won't be hard to find a partner (looking at you Chris, get over that height fear!)

Later in the day we went to the fish market and checked out all the local sea fares. There's a lot of crazy stuff you don't normally see in the states. Like clams the size of you forearm, baby octopus, huge squid, sea urchins, TONS of fresh fish, and all sorts of vegetables all in the same place. I think I might buy a stew-turtle and make it my pet... feed it cabbage or something... maybe just return it to the wild... I don't know yet.

Oh, and I got saluted by six teenage boys on my way to eMart (like walmart, only better).

4 comments:

  1. Doooooooood, I went for a hike this morning and almost killed myself...and Dude. I have no idea how 80 YR OLD ladies can do that in 90 degree heat with crazy humidity!! Free workout gear along the way...to work out while you are working out, thats intense! Ok you have to take pictures of the market, I want to see that awesomeness of it. A clam the size of a forearm!! Insane. I am checking this thing almost everyday man...don't disappoint me. Im in LA la land, you must entertain me. hehe...miss you bro! Keep on writing and take LOTs O pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely gonna take pictures of the fish market and more trails to come. I've been told that the trail wasn't as beautiful compared to others, it's just the closest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks beautiful! I can not WAIT to see it when I come visit! Uh-oh...donut and energy drink? We know what happens when you have sugar before a hike! Where was the blue port-a-potty with mountains on the side of it?! How is operation sea turtle going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Operation Sea-Turtle has been temporarily suspended pending further research and funding. And I can't wait to take you!!! Also, Korea has FULL sized bathrooms on their trail with motion sensors that play classical music when you sit down to poop!!!

    ReplyDelete