Thursday, August 15, 2013

Why did you just put a hot towel in my hand?...

So I got on this plane and it started this crazy adventure (so far).

At about 5 P.M. California time I got into my mom's car in Escondido, CA with my parents and my girlfriend. I had two suitcases, a laptop bag, and a backpack into which I CRAMMED enough S*%$ to last me an entire year in a country that considers me a giant and unworthy of making clothes in my size. We drove up to L.A. and hit almost NO TRAFFIC. After what seemed like an eternity of my dad driving in circles around the airport (yeah, we got lost instantly while looking for a mysterious Ruby's Diner) we finally found parking. Got inside, got my ticket, got my bags checked, and got McDonalds. It was a strange last meal in America, but kind of fitting. After many topics of discussion and a speech from my dad about why I'm going to Korea (I'm getting paid an enormous amount to teach kids) and what I shouldn't be doing in Korea (partying, fighting, being a failure and a slacker at work), we finished up our meal and got to the sappy stuff... I know my mom's a sweetheart and she burst into tears immediately and it hit me... my choices in this affected others. My family is going to miss me. I wont be there to laugh at Nick's climbing songs, I wont be there to throw chalk on Matt at the start of a route, I wont be there to get punched by my dad, I wont be there to impress my mom with my incredible college education ;) and I wont be there to hug my sisters when they come visit. And then I looked at Lynzy, she was trying to be strong but a few tears leaked. She said she was excited for me and proud of me, but I couldn't help but think about how much I'm going to miss hugging her and just being able to see her while we talk. Then I said goodbye to my dad in typical male fashion: firm handshake, solid eye contact, explosions in the background while we both punch bears in the face and then proceed to make winter coats out of their fur.

The plane ride was cool. Sat next to a marine from Puerto Rico named Pedro who gave me advice on Korea: Get custom suits made, go to the beach, and wear knitted wool sweaters in winter time... wow, thanks Pedro... But he did help me out while going through immigration for the first time and helped me explain what a survival knife is for when I got my luggage picked through in  customs (apparently koreans are so peaceful that the concept of a knife not used in military practice is strange to them).

Now I played the waiting game. Incheon airport at 4 A.M. is quite the slow place. I got some Korean McDonalds breakfast (WAY BETTER than American) and watched a live Chicago cubs VS. Cincinnati Reds game (Koreans love baseball... and the Dodgers for some weird reason... seriously, there's T.V. ads for them everywhere)

At 8 A.M. I met this dude named Mr. Kim who got me on a bus down to Mokpo. This was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. Apparently bus drivers have the right of way in Korea, not by law, but by the fact that they're all crazy M*^&$# F*@$#@^*s who just swerve randomly, never signal, drive way too fast, and will shove any car off the side of the road to make it to their destination on time. But after 5 hours and about a bazillion near accidents we arrived in the beautiful city of Mokpo!

At the station my fellow teacher Chris and Kim picked me up and bought me my first Korean meal: Spicy Chicken in a Cup. I'm not kidding. It's a tiny dixie cup filled with looks like Panda Express orange chicken that you stab with a toothpick and eat. It only cost two dollars and it was phenomenal! I'm gonna fall in love with this place I can tell. After dropping off my luggage in my new apartment we went to the corner store, got some Korean beers, and sat in what looked like one of those tiny plastic picnic tables that little kids use in America. We sat outside and watched delivery mopeds do some really crazy driving with no shoes or helmets, running red lights, popping up onto the side walk, swerving around cars, almost hitting pedestrians, all while steering one handed... These guys are f*$&%#ing insane.

Then I went to dinner but don't remember much because I was so jet-lagged at this point (only 3 hours of sleep in the last 36, and a time change of 16 hours) but I met three more teachers. Got home around and fell asleep instantly at 9:30 knowing I'd have to be ready to teach the next day at 2 P.M. Wonder how that will go?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah I am so happy to see what an adventure you are on. No more buses...HaHa Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your traffic might be worse than mine. I mean there are crazy bus drivers, and pyscho soccer moms trying to get their kids to school on time...or where ever it is that they go. But holy crap....your local drivers sound CRAZY!!! So...what is the craziest thing you have seen so far...and how many people are looking at you like Andre the Giant in a sea of children...hehe. "tall white boy so big!"

    Dude says hi...at least I think that yawn/grunt/snort was a hi. Talk soon bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, traffic's suprisingly not bad around the city. It's almost like everyone's on the same level and knows exactly what everyone's gonna do. And surprisingly only a few of my students and one or two old men in the street have commented on how tall I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were not tears leaking!...it was raining...in my eyes. ;)

    ReplyDelete